Sunday, September 27, 2015

2nd Place & Artist Choice- New Berlin Plein Air Competition

Lucky me: The urban landscape of New Berlin, Wisconsin. About 50k people, lots of office and industrial parks, main artery freeway and a couple of winding roads and vanishing barns. But I went to one of my favorite places in NB, Calhoun Park. Three soccer fields, a baseball diamond and one pond. The pond with a bridge. I love it. Reeds, trees, scum, ducks. It's a painting waiting to happen. And the verdict is 2nd place PLUS the coveted Artist's Choice. Thanks people.

I went out of the box with my approach and got all impressionistic. Cape Cod school of art was my influence with 5 layers and heavy palette knife. Painted 9:30-11:30am on a sunny Saturday morning.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, this is really pretty, if I may use such a term! Worthy of AT LEAST 2nd place!! I really like your style as it's fairly simple but creates such excitement w/ all the various colors. I'd like to see you do something on a larger scale w/ more depth and breadth, say, like a canyon or mountain scene. If working on a 30 x 40 canvas would/could you use a larger knife to keep those strokes big and textural? I haven't really seen much work by artists working on a large canvas w/ large knife.